I Like That

I Like That
See, hear, taste, touch and inhale the wonders of the world.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Witness to Wisdom

 The energy in the cramped room filled with recovering alcoholics brought feelings of humility, companionship and wisdom to my senses.

I was there to celebrate my son’s anniversary and was surrounded by others of like-mind who also felt a kinship with him. Complete strangers, some of them, friends for life, most of them, the members of this amazing fellowship listened quietly and with respect to the topic explored that evening. Each member was invited to share his and her experience with the group . Some chose to pass on the topic while others spoke with keen enthusiasm for the excitement brought on by alcohol and the downside of not knowing when to stop. Some spoke of losses repeated over and over with each relapse, while others, too new to the program to know the consequences of giving in to their obsession, spoke of their gratitude for having a place to land and share their hidden feelings.

I felt camaraderie and love emitting from the attendees to the ends of my toes. I took in a deep breath to absorb the moment and released a quiet exhale with the hope that the feelings of compassionate brother and sisterhood would stay with me. The power of the meeting’s tone remains with me and I am grateful.

At the end of the meeting we stood, clasped hands and chanted the prayer that is shared around the world:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment